Water security workshops - Woodstock & Sodwalls
22 July 2015
How long since your dam over flowed? Is water security limiting your farm production? Are you making the on farm decisions or is the climate?
These questions and many more will be up for discussion at free Water Security Workshops to be held at 'Waugoola' in the Woodstock region near Cowra, and at 'Invergowrie' in the Sodwalls area east of Bathurst.
Central Tablelands and Central West Local Land Services are hosting the workshops to help landholders get greater water security out of their farm dams, focusing on strategies to better capture and store water on farm.
"A structured whole farm approach to water supply will enable land managers to maintain stock levels and profitability, and that's the strategy we'll be demonstrating," said Casey Proctor, Central Tablelands Local Land Services Senior Land Services Officer.
The workshops will focus on:
- initiatives to increase water quality and quantity
- reassessing the design of your dam
- incorporating water efficient strategies
Expert speakers will look at regional factors that affect how to improve water security on farm:
- David Mitchell from NSW DPI will discuss the water cycle and water yields, and explain the interactions between soil and water on farm.
- Phil Cranney from Central Tablelands LLS will talk about maintaining healthy farm dams, including ground cover options
- Peter Kirwan from the Soil Conservation Service will focus on dam design
- Dominic Nowlan from Central West LLS will provide an insight into the old process of dam design and new options to improve the performance of old dams.
- Casey Proctor from Central Tablelands LLS will look at a whole of farm approach to water management, and how to develop a farm water strategy
- Jeremy Elms will discuss dam safety and current Workcover funding and initiatives.
The farm dam Water Security Workshops are free and will be held:
Wednesday, 29th July: 9:30am – 12:00pm at "Waugoola" - 588 Reg Hailstone Way, Woodstock (Truck Entrance)
Thursday, 30th July: 9:30am – 12:00pm at "Invergowrie" - 396 Sodwalls Rd, Sodwalls
Don't forget to bring your hat, a chair, water and a warm jacket as the workshops will take place outside.
Media contact: Kylie Krause, 0439 608370