Skip to content

Annual land and stock returns - FAQs

What do I do if the information in Section A is incorrect?

If any of the information in Section A is incorrect please contact your nearest Local Land Services office or download the Change of Details form. Do not mark changes on your Annual Land and Stock Return form as they are scanned electronically and any changes marked on the form will not be updated.

Which stock should I count?

All stock six months of age or older should be counted, regardless of whether it belongs to the landholder, is agisted or on the property for any other reason.

Pigs of any age should be counted, as well as flocks of 100 or more poultry.

What if I am leasing the property?

As you have received this paperwork, our records show you as the legal occupier so you must lodge a return.

What if I am not the occupier?

If you were not the occupier of all or part of the holding on 30 June, please contact your nearest Local Land Services office or download the Change of Details form. You do not need to complete this Annual Land and Stock Return.

What if the property is changing hands?

If you are in the process of selling or leasing your land (including exchanging contracts) you are still the legal occupier at 30 June and responsible for the Annual Land and Stock Return.

Do I need a separate form for each holding?

A separate Annual Land and Stock Return form must be completed for each holding, including primary and secondary holdings. You should receive a separate Annual Land and Stock Return form in the mail for each of these. You can lodge your details online.

How will my information be used?

This information provides us with contact details in the event of an emergency disease outbreak in your area. For example, it helps us go directly to the people whose land or stock may be affected in an emergency. If you do not lodge your return, we may not know that you need to be informed about animal and plant health issues.

Are these numbers used in calculating my rates?

These figures trigger whether or not you are charged the animal health rate and the meat industry levy. Please note that rates charges are based on the notional carrying capacity and size of your land, not how many stock you have on your property on 30 June.

What else do I need to do if I own livestock?

If you are registering livestock on this return, you should also have a Property Identification Code (PIC). We assign a unique eight-digit PIC to properties with livestock to help us trace stock in the event of disease or chemical residue management issues. Talk to the staff at your nearest Local Land Services office about whether you need a PIC.


The definitions below may be helpful when completing your Annual Land and Stock Return.


The occupier is the person(s) entitled to immediate possession and use of the property. The occupier is not necessarily the owner.

Intensive Livestock

Intensive Livestock production means the keeping or nurturing of stock for commercial purposes wholly or substantially by routinely feeding them prepared or manufactured feed (except temporary feeding during, and as a result of drought, fire, flood or similar). Examples of intensive livestock production include registered feedlots and piggeries.


Area used for intensive livestock is the area in hectares that is used specifically for intensive livestock production on the holding.


Capacity of intensive area is the maximum number of livestock that can be maintained eg the maximum capacity of the feedlot or piggery. This is not necessarily the figure declared as at 30 June, which is the actual stock at that time.